In the fitness/bodybuilding industry it is generally believed that you have to eat big to get big, an easy thing to say but difficult if you are on a budget.
You can still do very well with high-protein, healthy meals on a budget, all three of these delicious recipes cost less than $20.
All three recipes run the price of two chipotle burritos, are healthier and will certainly feed you better than any burrito could.
1) Sriracha Tuna Chilli
Ingredients cost a total of $9.50 making the cost per serving size (feeds 6) $1.58
On a tight budget canned tuna is your new friend. Pound for pound, this muscle-building lean protein source gives you excellent bang for your buck. You don’t have to stick with those really boring tuna salad sandwiches either, take a look at this delicious tuna chilli instead with Sriracha chilli sauce, if you don’t like spicy foods you can quite easily lower the heat.
A great thing about this meal is that each serving contains 32g of protein, if you want to add a little extra then you can top it off with some reduced fat or fat-free cheese too.
- 2 Tbsp of cooking oil
- 2 14.4 Oz of frozen stir fry vegetables (or you can chop up some red,yellow and green peppers with white onion)
- 6 Cans of tuna
- 1 Packet (1.25Oz/35g) chilli seasoning mix (lowest sodium available)
- 1 Can (16 Oz/454g) reduced sodium dark red kidney beans
- 1 Can (15Oz/425g) reduced sodium black beans
- 10 Tbsp (165g) salsa
- 10 Tsb (50g) Sriracha
- 1 Can (28Oz/794g) crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tsp minced garlic (4 cloves)
- Remove and drain all tuna, black beans and dark red kidney beans.
- Get a large stove top pan and get it on the burner on medium heat, add in cooking oil.
- Once the pan is hot, stir in the pepper stir fry and all the ingredients whilst occasionally stirring everything around.
- Once all of the ingredients in the pan are mixed together leave the chilli to cook for 10 – 15 mins being sure to stir every couple of minutes.
(Based on one serving size) makes 6 portions.
49.5g Of carbs
2) Canned Chicken Parmesan Balls
Total ingredients cost $2.75, serves 7 so comes out at $0.39 per portion.
When your money is tight, the next best thing after ‘chicken of the sea’ is actually shredded chicken from a can. This can be transformed into balled-up chicken parmesan, easy and scrumptious!. Even better when topped with some tomato sauce and grated cheese.
- 2 Cans of chicken
- 2 Large eggs
- 1/2 Cup (56g) reduced fat mozzarella cheese
- 8 Tbsp (40g) grated parmesan cheese
- 8 Tbsp (64g) wheat germ
- 1/4 Cup (61g) tomato sauce
- 1/2 Tsp basil
- 1/2 Tsp oregano
- 1/2 Tsp parsley
- 1/2 Tsp crushed red pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees farenheit.
- Drain the canned chicken and put all ingredients together in a bowl.
- Mix all ingredients together until everything is incorporated.
- Get a baking sheet and coat with non-stick cooking spray, shape the mix into about 7 balls.
- Bake for around 20-25 mins.
Serves 7 (This is for 1 serving of it)
3) Lemon Pie Overnight Protein Oatmeal
Ingredients cost $1.25 (serves one so $1.25 per portion)
These are a great recipe as they are so easy to make and you can make them in massive batches, for this I will make one serving of this protein infused oatmeal that tastes just like lemon pie.
Make it the night before you want to eat it.
- 1/2 Cup (4 Oz) unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or whichever milk you choose).
- 1 Tbsp (7g) coconut flour.
- 1/2 Cup (40g) rolled oats.
- 1 Tsp lemon juice.
- 1 and a half scoops (45g) vanilla protein powder.
- 1/2 Tsp vanilla extract.
- 1/2 Banana.
- 2.65 Oz (75 g) fat-free lemon Greek yoghurt.
- 1 Serving (8g) Lemon sugar-free, fat-free instant pudding.
- Put all ingredients into a bowl and mix together.
- Cover bowl with a lid or wrap.
- Put in fridge overnight (or 2-3 hours if really hungry).
As you can see, all these meals cost less than $20 and are very cheap recipes you can use towards bodybuilding on a budget.