As you already know, stretch marks are visible lines on the skin’s surface with an off-colour pinkish hue, usually found in the abdomen area, but also in other areas such as the thighs, bum, upper arms and breasts in women, although they are prevalent in women mostly, some men also suffer with them in certain areas, and i’m sure your wondering as many others have been asking me how to get rid of stretch marks fast without any kind of magic or surgical procedure, before I talk about the solutions, i’d like to explain what causes stretch marks in the first place.
Whilst pregnancy is one of the main causes of stretch marks in women, other contributing factors to stretch marks are sudden weight loss or weight gain, rapid growth (muscle growth), genetics and changes in diet and stress levels,
The skin consists of three main layers: Epidermis (the outer layer), Dermis (the middle layer) and Subcutaneous or Hypodermic (the deepest layer). Stretch marks form in the dermis layer of the skin when the connective tissue is stretched beyond it’s flexibility limits due to rapid expansion or contraction of the skin. As the skin is stretched, the collagen is weakened and its normal production cycle is damaged. This ultimately results in fine scars under the top layer of the skin. Initially the marks look pinkish or even red, but over time a thin, silvery line appears on the skin surface and a stretch mark appears.
Stretch marks can make people feel self-conscious about the way they look and even uncomfortable around the opposite sex, fortunately there are a number of natural solutions to help reduce the appearance of them
1. Potato Juice
Potato juice contains lots of good vitamins and minerals that aid growth and regeneration of the skin cells,
- Cut a medium sized potato into thick slices.
- Take a piece of the potato and rub it on the affected area of the skin for a few minutes making sure the potato juice fully covers the affected area.
- Allow the liquid to dry for a while and then rinse off
You know how you have always been told sugar is bad for you? well in this case natural white sugar is one of the best remedies to get rid of stretch marks, you can also use the sugar to exfoliate your skin.
- Mix a tablespoon of sugar with some almond oil and a few drops of lemon juice, mix it up and apply to the affected stretch mark areas.
- Rub the mixture onto the skin everyday for at least 10 minutes before having a shower.
- Do this for about a month or so and watch those stretch marks gradually lighten up.
3. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is a super effective treatment for many skin problems and allergies. It has various essential nutrients and active compounds in it’s formula that can be used in the treatment of minor burns, while its healing and soothing properties can also be put to use to get rid of stretch marks. There are a couple of ways to apply it to your skin:
- You can rub aloe vera gel directly onto the affected skin area, leave it on for a few minutes and then rinse the skin with water.
- A second option is to make a mixture with a quarter cup of aloe-vera gel, oil from 10 vitamin E capsules and oil from five vitamin A capsules. Rub this mixture onto the skin until fully absorbed. Repeat this process everyday.
Keeping your body well hydrated not only aids your general health and well-being but also helps protect your skin from many kinds of problems. Well-hydrated skin results in regular detoxification of skin pores and restores elasticity, which will help a lot in getting rid of those stretch marks. Try to drink 1-2 liters of water a day, more if it’s a hot day. Experts say a minimum of 10 glasses of water per day is the best way to keep the body hydrated. It will make your skin soft and help maintain its elasticity. It is best to avoid coffee, tea or soda in any sizable quantity as they can cause dehydration, not only is this the most natural remedy there is but it will make your skin practically glow.
5. Lemon Juice
Another great way to aid the reduction of visible stretch marks is to use lemon juice, with it’s natural acidic properties it helps heal and even reduce stretch marks, skin injuries, acne, and other scars:
- Rub neat lemon juice onto the marks using a gentle circular motion, allow 10 minutes minimum for the juice to soak into your skin and then rinse of.
- Another option is to mix up some cucumber juice and lemon juice together before then applying directly onto the marks
6. Olive Oil
Italians are known historically for there long healthy lives, this is down in part to there diet which consists of olive oil and lots of it, olive oil contains lots of naturally occuring nutrients and antioxidants that help improve various skin complaints and stretch marks.
- Massage some lukewarm olive oil onto the affected skin area, this will help improve circulation and reduce stretch marks to a certain extent.
- leave it on your skin for at least 30 mins to allow the vitamins A, D and E present to be absorbed by the skin.
You can also mix olive oil with a bit of vinegar and water to use as a night cream, this will ex-foliate your skin and help keep it moisturized.
7. Cocoa Butter
Cocoa butter has been shown to help reduce stretch marks significantly:
- Apply cocoa butter over the affected areas directly twice a day and after 1-2 months the stretch marks will become much less noticeable.
- Another option is to make a mixture using half a cup of cocoa butter, one tablespoon of wheat germ oil, two teaspoons of grated beeswax and one teaspoon each of apricot kernel oil and vitamin E oil. Heat this mixture until the beeswax melts. You can store the mixture in a Tupperware container or similar airtight unit in the refrigerator and apply it to your stretch marks two to three times a day. This mixture will help make your skin both hydrated and smooth.
8. Castor Oil
Castor oil has been used extensively in the past to treat a number of skin complaints such as wrinkles, age spots, moles, dark spots, fine lines and pimples, but it has also been shown to help treat stretch marks too,
- Apply some castor oil to the stretch marks and use circular motions for at least 15 minutes to massage it into the skin.
- Wrap up the area with a thin, cotton cloth, Using a hot water bottle or even heat pads, apply heat to the area for 30 minutes.
- Repeat this process everyday for at least a month to notice some decent results.
9. Egg Whites
Eggs are a big source of protein, for the purpose of getting rid of stretch marks though, you want only the egg white and nothing else, this contains protein and amino acids,
- Whip the whites of two eggs gently with a fork. Clean the affected skin area with water and then apply a thick layer of egg whites with a makeup brush or similar.
- Allow the egg whites to dry completely and then rinse the area with cold water.
- Finally apply some olive oil on the skin to keep it moisturized.
- Repeat the process daily for at least two weeks and watch for some results.
Alfalfa leaves contain 8 essential amino acids which are good for the overall health of skin, they are rich in protein and vitamins E and K which aid the restoration and increase body tone.
The anti-fungal agent present in alfalfa leaves alkalizes and detoxifies the skin, which helps minimize scars including stretch marks.
- Mix some alfalfa power with a few drops of chamomile oil to form a smooth paste.
- Massage the paste into the affected area 2 to 3 times a day.
- Repeat this daily for one week and you will notice great improvement.
This guide should be of great assistance to you in the pursuit of a smooth skinned body, whilst the methods used above will never truly get rid of stretch marks, they will mask them massively and make them almost invisible.
I hope this has been of great help to you and feel free to comment below.
Bye for now