Many people if you told them that you could lose ten pounds in one week without pills would either look at you funny and turn away in embarrassment or laugh so hysterically they fall off there chair.
However, what if I told you that this process is entirely possible and with a little bit of effort and determination quite straight forward?
Well the good news is that it can be done and the below will show you exactly how:
Let’s do some simple maths, when setting goals for yourself it is very important to know how you will go about best achieving these goals. With that in mind before you start to count the calories, you need to know exactly what plan you will be sticking to in order for you to lose the full 10 pounds in one week.
1 Pound = 3,500 calories, you have 7 days to lose 10 of those.
3,500 calories x 10 pounds = 35,000 calories to burn off.
35,000 calories divided by a week = 5,000 calories a day to burn.
2,000 calories a day standard intake minus 5,000 calories to burn off = negative 3,000 calories a day.
- As can be seen from the above, keeping to a minus 3,000 calorie a day diet is ridiculous, However, a strict diet, some exercise plus the initial loss of water weight may actually put you nearer the goal than the above maths allows, What’s more, your weight fluctuates by a good 2 pound every day adding a small margin for error.
- Luckily for you, it is not just diet that controls the calories, exercise does too, in this rapid and intense diet, both play an important equal role.
Keep A Journal
Looking at what you’re eating everyday is going to help keep you conscious of what you are actually putting into your body, be sure to write down in the journal every item of food or drink that you consume in a week.
- Make yourself accountable, show this journal at the end of everyday to a friend, personal trainer or even family, having to face another judgmental face rather than just your own might give you that last little boost to help stay on track, maybe have them keep the journal logs with you.
- Don’t just log your food and drink intake! keep an eye on your exercise as well and see how good you’re doing and whether you are on track or not.
Share With Others
When going through something alone, it can be hard to be strict by yourself, after all, does the world come to stop if you eat a chocolate muffin? of course not!. Get yourself a friend to help you achieve your goals.
- Make every social gathering active, if eating together with family or friends, get everyone cooking instead of getting take out or going to a restaurant. When you are being supported instead of receiving temptations, you will be a lot more successful.
Changing Up Your Diet
Cut Out processed Food
By having a low-energy density diet, you will find it is the simplest way to lower your calorie intake whilst still maintaining that full feeling that keeps you going without snacking constantly, This is code for dishing out some healthy veg and ditching those bad French fries.
- Energy density is known as the amount of energy (calories) there is in a certain weight of food, if a food is of a low energy density, it will provide far fewer calories per gram. In principle you could really go to town on these foods and eat as much of it as you want and still not see an impact on your waistline. Think of it this way, 400 calories of salad is a lot less than 400 calories of processed burgers.
- Foods such as fruits and vegetables fill us up much more quickly without all those calories, Protein and carbohydrates have 4 calories per gram whereas fat has 9, fiber between 1-1.5 and of course water has 0.
- The easiest way to load up on a low energy-dense diet is to really stock up on vegetables, fruits, whole grains, lean meats and airy (foods that have a high water and fiber content), avoiding processed goods.
Eat 5 Times A Day
As well as having three smaller meals throughout the day, keep on snacking healthily, your meals should be smaller but you will feel more full as a result.
- There is actually some science behind it as well,when we eat, our TEF or Thermic effect of food raises, A high TEF increases your metabolism, decreases hunger and helps lead onto weight loss.
- Because you are eating more often than you would, your meals should be smaller portion sizes, you aren’t eating more food, you are just spreading it out throughout the day.
- Any snacks you consume should be of a small portion size and be healthy, a good alternative to sweets and crisps is fruit, nuts and low-fat natural yoghurt’s. If there are time-constraints then pre-measure all your portions out the day before in seal-able containers, overeating will be a thing of the past and you can just grab a bag on your way to work.
Learn About Portion Control
Following portion control standards, an average adult should consume 3oz. (90g) of protein, 87.5g (1/2 cup) of starch and 175g (a cup) of vegetables with every meal,eating any more than what your body needs will increase your weight, as a double-edged sword, eating less can also lead to weight gain or stagnant weight movement as well.
- At all costs you must eat in order to prevent your body shutting down the weight loss and holding onto the weight, if getting portion size right is like trying to read ancient Egyptian then use visual cues, 1 full bell pepper is a portion of veg, about the size of a baseball. An apple is tennis ball sized and is classed as one serving, A serving of pasta should be the size of a hockey puck, a portion of cheese is the same as four playing dice, and chicken is best thought of as a deck of playing cards.
Aim to drink at least 64 oz. of water everyday
Try having a glass of water before you go to bed on a night and then another when you awaken, as well as a glass or two before each meal, using water as a means of clearing the body of daily toxins is a fantastic way of losing weight, what’s more the added liquid will help fill you quicker meaning it will be much easier sticking to your portion sizes.
- Carry a bottle of water with you at all times and aim to drink from it regularly, The more you drink the better you will feel and being properly hydrated will make you feel much more alert and awake.
- Many top medical professionals recommend that men and women should consume between 2.5L and 3.7l every day, which also includes water found in food and other beverages.
Get your running shoes on
Step Up Your Cardio
In order to continue losing weight even after the week is up you need to ensure that you incorporate regular activity in your day, even if maintaining your present weight. Exercise helps increase stamina, energy levels, well-being and will continue to help you succeed on your weight loss endeavour. Because exercise works on an individual basis, it is best to consult with your physician first before commencing any new activity.
- Cardio burns more fat than just strength training, however both are needed for maximum weight loss, if like me you hate jogging, try doing a less impact reliant activity such as swimming or an elliptical machine.
- Look into HiiT or High intensity training, The National Institute For Health states that HiiT ‘involves repeatedly exercising at high intensity for 30 seconds to several minutes, with 1-5 min rest periods between’, it has also been stated that ‘weight loss benefits are amplified by this type of activity’. So next time you are on that machine try going all out for as long as you can with some small breaks in between and you’ll be done in 15 mins.
- Plenty of different activities count as cardio that you may not realize. Here are some examples of calories burnt within 30 mins:
- Boxing = 330 calories
- Tennis = 232 calories
- Freestyle swimming = 248 calories.
Those people who do both cardio and strength training will burn the most fat and also build muscle, if your are just starting out weight training, it would be best to consult a personal trainer or a good friend to help get you started.
If you don’t have time for the gym, invest in some dumbbells or hand weights for your house, you can workout whenever then with a monthly gym membership or worrying about what others think.
Add Some Yoga In Your Life
Looking at a goal of 10 pounds in one week does seem a bit steep, so it is best to get as many calories burnt as you can muster, why not incorporate some yoga into your routine at home whilst watching some rubbish telly?
- Yoga actually burns 3-6 calories a minute, After an hour of being in front of the tv, you have proudly worked off 180-360 calories.
- Yoga is definitely not the most intense workout you will ever do by any stretch of the imagination but it has been shown to be linked with mindful eating which greatly aids weight loss.
So, you have been to the gym 6 times already this week and your all yoga’d out, what else could you be doing?
- Cycle to work – take the stairs, skip that escalator, take as many little opportunities as you can to burn extra calories off.
- Do all that housework you have been putting off forever, you’d be surprised how much of a sweat on you get doing the tidying, gardening, washing etc. not to mention you will feel much better for doing it.
Do some research on fad diets, They are ‘fads’ for a reason but try and pick one that relates to your needs best.
Visit a sauna, this will quickly shed water weight from you and cleanse your skin naturally, be sure to limit your sessions to 15-20 mins maximum and not go to often and don’t forget to stay hydrated at all times.
Focus on your objectives at all times, when you are lacking some motivation think of the fantastic end result and the shock of everyone seeing the new you, everyone’s body is different so don’t be disheartened if you miss your goal by a pound or two, sometimes you just have to keep going despite the odds.
Consult a doctor if making any drastic changes to your lifestyle such as this plan or any others for that matters.
Try walking the dog or a friends dog if you don’t have one, gets you some fresh air and out of the house.
If you want to lose those ten pounds within a week just follow the plan set out above and you will find you will get close or even exceed this figure quite easily.
I hope this guide has been informative and helpful, and remember there is further information regarding weight loss online.